Amazon renewed – meaning, definition and rulesAnswer:
Amazon renewed is Amazon’s program for selling pre-owned, refurbished, and open-box products backed by 90 days guarantee. All devices must be tested and inspected to work like new. For open-box product Amazon does their in house inspection, but for other refurbished devices they relay on third party sellers.
Because there are third party sellers involved the product range and quality is wide – factory refurbished, vendor refurbs, warranty return refurbs, store closeout/overstock, off-lease. If you are buying renewed, be ready to return it and go through the refund process.
For a seller to qualify for Amazon Renewed program it must comply with the following criteria:
- Supply invoices for refurbished purchases for more $50,000 or more in the last 90 days; for Home and Garden category for the previous 180 days.
- Must be a trusted seller, ODR of 0.8% or less is required for the last 90 days.
- For factory refurbished devices with no additional warranty Amazon requires sample image of the actual product and the shipping packaging.
- The seller must comply with Amazon Renewed Guarantee of 90 days.
- For Apple devices in Consumer Electronics categories they require invoices dated from trailing 90 days that total $2.5 million in Apple refurbished products.
As you can see there are some checks to sift out the untrusted sellers, but there is now grantee that the devices were properly refurbished.